Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hippie Birthday Cake

Last week, a friend of mine ordered a cake for her mom's birthday; she wanted it to be hippie themed, colorful and with flowers, and all made with fondant.

I really took my time with this cake because it was my first time working with fondant on a bigger scale (see Alice in Wonderland post), and it was also my first time with a proper frosting spatula and an improvised rotating cake stand.

First the cake.
I made a basic yellow cake that turns a very pretty golden color once baked.

For the frosting I made vanilla buttercream and used my new frosting spatula and the makeshift rotating cake stand to frost it as neatly and evenly as possible.

I admit this is the first time I've ever made such pretty frosting.

My mom loves to play with fondant, so she came over and helped me with it. I covered the cake with purple marshmallow fondant, and made some bicolor flowers to decorate the sides. I was gonna make a peace and love decoration for the center, but we decided a multicolor flower would look better.

The spots you can see on the fondant is just water, I took the pics before it dried but I'm planning to take another one right before I deliver it.

No comments:

Post a Comment